Friday 20 November 2009

November Rain

I have lived in Carlisle now long enough to see every season…

Winter,
Spring,


Summer and


Fall (which we all know is Autumn, but that’s not how the song goes)





But the one thing about living in Carlisle is that whatever the season, it will rain, and it will rain HARD!

Right now the city is on flood alert; a months worth of rain is supposed to fall in 36 hours and there ain’t a lot of places for that rain to go.

It’s so weird how important the weather is, some people pray for rain after months of drout. But that rain is also the thing that can destroy places. Up here in the far north of England, the people most affected are farmers trying to move their livestock away from the danger, the people whose houses have been filled with dirty water.

It’s also a scary thing being told that your house might flood. It also makes you realise just how shallow you are I suppose. When I found out that my road was a potential flood area, the first thing I did was pack my shoes! That’s right, if the Rivers Eden and Petteril joined forces, the thing I would be most concerned with is shoes.

I also got scared because I am from the most land locked place in the country, no river, no sea, no streams, and in the summer (a good summer) not so much as a puddle…ok so we haven’t had a good summer for a looooong time, but you understand what I am trying to say. The thought of a city under water scared me, waiting in the dark for some sort of wave of sewage to come through the door.

Luckily, that hasn’t happened yet. Walking home through Rickerby Park from uni I got to see for myself how much rain had fallen…and it was a lot. Picnic benches were submerged up to their seats, pathways were no longer visible and the river had burst its banks.



So right now as the rain comes and goes, I’m still waiting for something to happen, hoping it doesn’t. But I’m a lot less scared then I was yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment