Monday 23 November 2009

Day 2- “We’re just gunna stop here so I can kick all those stones down!”

The day starts with breakfast, a full Scottish breakfast- complete with haggis. I try it but can safely say I won’t be eating that again!

As we arrived in the dark last night, we take a drive around the island to have a look. Last night, I had changed Tom’s voice to that of a Norwegian male and Dean is completely confused, at first thinking that he just didn’t hear properly, then realising he can’t understand a word Tom is saying. Little things please little minds; I’m highly amused.

After a while, Dean announces, “We’re just gunna stop here so I can kick these stones over.” And with that, he’s out of the car and like a man possessed is kicking over small piles of stones while I take in the scenery. I’m not sure what it was about the stones that made him so angry, but he seems happier when he gets back in the car.


We travel over the bridge that connects the island with the mainland; something that the locals strongly opposed before it was built, but it makes life easier and within five minutes, we are back on the mainland.

Later we stop at Eilean Donan or “Highlander Castle.” We passed it last night, all lit up, but in daylight it looks even better.


Outside, there is snow on the hills, clouds are at tree level and there are mini waterfalls along our route.

After another seven hour drive we make it to Edinburgh, and it is at this point that Tom chooses to have a meltdown. Thrown off by road works on his prepared route, he just shuts down, occasionally suggesting we turn around before going silent, choosing only to speak when he thinks we have made a wrong turn.

After a wild goose chase, Tom announces we have reached our destination, “Oh Tom, we thought we’d lost you!” However, Tom hasn’t led us to our desired location; instead he has directed us to a college car park. Another half an hour passes as we try to work out where we are and how to get to the hostel.

Finally we make it to the Smart City Backpackers, check in and go for a walk around Edinburgh, up the royal mile to Edinburgh Castle (see, didn’t I tell you before Dean had a thing for castles!?) When we get there, a small guided tour is about to start. The mention of refreshments sounds good, but we decide against gate-crashing it.

Back in the hostel, it is time for some food. Proper food, not like yesterdays chicken and mayo sandwich fest, I want a meal. So, burger and chips ordered, Malibu and coke in hand, I’m ready to chill out, and the fire alarm goes off. “That’s a lovely noise, but I am not leaving my Malibu!!!”


Dean wants an early night so while he tries to sleep I attempt to tune the TV in so that I can watch X Factor; yes I am that sad. When I finally manage to get a signal, I am told “you’re as happy as a pig in shit,” and I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment